Tuesday, November 04, 2003
Writing Binge

Man, when I break a wall, I don't leave a brick standing!

Perhaps a little background: I have several literary projects going, aside from my school writing (which takes precedence), but until the middle of last week, I hadn't added anything to any of them in over four or five months. Reason? Well, I just didn't know where I was going. I had a few ideas, but they were all for new projects, so I jotted them down, and set them aside (nine is more than enough, thank-you-very-much). So I'd been staring at these partially begun novels, short stories, tirades, experiments, and beating myself (mentally) over the head because I couldn't finish them. Couldn't come close.

Then something changed. Last week, my housemate and I began working out together regularly. We had had several false starts earlier in the semester, but I finally got fed up with myself and forced the point. So we began working out. And wouldn't you know it? Art (my housemate) got sick. Well, there goes my workout - I've never in my life gone to the gym without someone else. I lack the motivation. Or, I should say, I used to lack motivation. Now I can't stay away from the gym.

Art's sick, true, but that hasn't stopped me. I've worked out three straight times without a partner, and it may wind up that I work out alone again tomorrow. The great thing is: I no longer need someone there to push me. This is a momentous break through; and it's having effects elsewhere in my life, too.

Which is really why I wanted to blog this: my writer's block is gone! I've been jotting down notes on stories I'm currently writing (one in particular) ever since I started back at the gym, and I'm making incredible progress. I've got nearly ten pages of handwritten ideas - and each of those ideas will take up several pages of text. This thing is gonna get done. Heck, I'm able to blog more often, too, after I started working out on a regular basis.

Plus, there's an episode of 24 on tonight. Yeah, things are definitely looking up.

Comments: Post a Comment

A webjournal of ideas, comments, and various other miscellany from a Texan university student (with occasional input from his family) living in Toronto, Ontario. Can you say "culture shock?"

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Transplanted Texan!

powered by Bloglet

< ? Texas Blogs # >
Entertainment Center

Solidaridad
"Con las víctimas, con la Constitución, por la derrota del terrorismo"

Search

The Transplanted Texan
The Web

Current Mood:



Latest Music On iTunes

Site Feed

Thoughts

On Truth
A Clarification On Media Bias
A Bit Of An Issue
[Defending My Position]
Canada And Cynicism
Inauthentic Authenticity
Conspiracy Theories
Conspiracy Theories, Redux
Musings

On 9/11 And Terror
Monochromatic Thinking
A Day Worth Remembering

On Politics And Public Issues
The Art Of Listening
The American System
A Clarification On Media Bias
Pleasure
A Bit Of An Issue
Little Longer Than Expected
Speaking For All Of Us?

On Poetry
Spirit
Counteract
Virus
Something I've Been Meaning To Do

(Some Of) What I Read:

Friends & Family

Canadiana

BlogRoll

Archives

Blog Links

Listed on BlogsCanada Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise

Subscribe with Bloglines