Wednesday, July 21, 2004
The Form

I was perusing this massive stack of papers I have at my desk (actually, I've been going through it for a few weeks now, bit by bit), when I came across the collection of poetry that I set aside for 'digitization' at some point in the murky future. I absentmindedly started browsing, and decided that I had some time to type some of it up.

Piece after piece fell before my keyboard (some of it horrible, some not half-bad), and before long I came across something I wrote last year. As is so often the case with me, I looked at it, and said 'Well, it's got potential.' And then it hit me, all in a flash, and I started to meddle. So, after beginning this poem a year less two days ago, I present to you "Sonnet."

Sonnet
Syllabic poetics, couplets of rhyme
Rhythmic stanzas, and fourteen measured lines.
One section of eight, another of six,
An intro, a middle, and rhyme that sticks.
These things are sonnets, and historical:
Shakespeare, Petrarch, Spenser methodical,
Tried to romance with kisses and word sweets.
Long they won women, or wooed them at least;
But they too have been mocked, e'en criticized
For subjects not real, but idealized.
Poets call them high, elevated form
Which kills many good sheets, crumpled and torn.
Difficult to write, a strain on the mind
And as to women, no more do they bind.
Comments: Post a Comment

A webjournal of ideas, comments, and various other miscellany from a Texan university student (with occasional input from his family) living in Toronto, Ontario. Can you say "culture shock?"

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Transplanted Texan!

powered by Bloglet

< ? Texas Blogs # >
Entertainment Center

Solidaridad
"Con las víctimas, con la Constitución, por la derrota del terrorismo"

Search

The Transplanted Texan
The Web

Current Mood:



Latest Music On iTunes

Site Feed

Thoughts

On Truth
A Clarification On Media Bias
A Bit Of An Issue
[Defending My Position]
Canada And Cynicism
Inauthentic Authenticity
Conspiracy Theories
Conspiracy Theories, Redux
Musings

On 9/11 And Terror
Monochromatic Thinking
A Day Worth Remembering

On Politics And Public Issues
The Art Of Listening
The American System
A Clarification On Media Bias
Pleasure
A Bit Of An Issue
Little Longer Than Expected
Speaking For All Of Us?

On Poetry
Spirit
Counteract
Virus
Something I've Been Meaning To Do

(Some Of) What I Read:

Friends & Family

Canadiana

BlogRoll

Archives

Blog Links

Listed on BlogsCanada Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Listed on Blogwise

Subscribe with Bloglines